On 1st October GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau as part of an exciting growth plan. To find out more read the full story here. If you have any urgent queries please reach out to your usual contact, email, or call 0117 906 9400.

Home > News > Are you a carer concerned about Coronavirus?

Are you a carer concerned about Coronavirus?

24 March 2020 | Heledd Wyn

Are you a carer for a friend or relative? You will find lots of practical advice online if you have concerns about looking after yourself and those you care for whilst dealing with self-isolating and social distancing. The Carers UK website is a useful hub of information and if you are worried that you or the person you care for are at risk, the NHS offer direct guidance through their online coronavirus helpline.

You may be concerned about the general well-being of the person you care for. Perhaps how they would be cared for if you were unable to continue looking after them, or what would happen if they became unwell and required additional care. There are several ways a solicitor can help to ensure a plan is in place, providing you with peace of mind.

Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA)

A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that lets you appoint one or more people, known as ‘attorneys’, to help you make decisions or to make decisions on your behalf.

Without an LPA, no one has legal authority to deal with any financial or business matters or make any decisions on your behalf.

There are two types of LPA, covering property and financial matters and health and welfare decisions.

The first thing to do is find out if the person you are caring for has an LPA, and if you have been named by them to act as their attorney. If there is not an LPA in place, one of our specialist care planning solicitors can help set one up. You can find out more information about what to do next here.

Help with finances

It is always worth checking whether you, or the person you are caring for, are entitled to any benefits and whether there is any other funding that may be available.

Under the Care Act 2014 the local authority is under an obligation to undertake an assessment of both the person who needs care and the carer. This can highlight issues that you may not have considered and provide you with additional support.

With increased pressure on services however, these assessments may be significantly delayed, so it is worth considering whether your relative’s care needs are already being adequately managed or whether third party oversight is useful.

Specialist Long-Term & Elderly Care Solicitors  

Our dedicated team of care planning solicitors regularly assist individuals and their carers to navigate the systems and processes surrounding long-term care. From preparing for a financial assessment to challenging the decision and providing practical advice on funding care, we take a holistic approach to ensure we’ve covered all ground before moving forward in your case.

For advice about Lasting Powers or Attorney, financial arrangements or any aspect of long-term and elderly care, please contact our team of specialist care planning solicitors on 0117 906 9400 or email Alternatively, please complete ourcontact form.  

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

  • What can we help you with?