On 1st October GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau as part of an exciting growth plan. To find out more read the full story here. If you have any urgent queries please reach out to your usual contact, email, or call 0117 906 9400.

Home > News > Attorneys & Deputies: Are you aware of your obligations?

Attorneys & Deputies: Are you aware of your obligations?

22 May 2019 | Heledd Wyn

So you have been granted a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) or appointed as a Deputy on behalf of someone who is incapable of managing their own affairs, often known as “P” (for Patient). But are you aware of what you can and cannot do in this capacity?

It is common that people over-estimate or simply misunderstand what the LPA / Deputyship order allows them to do, and many may unwittingly overstep their powers. The following are some key points that Attorneys and Deputies need to be aware of:

Task-specific capacity

A fundamental principle of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 (MCA) is that a person must be assumed to have capacity unless it is established that they lack capacity.

There is no such thing as blanket incapacity, which means that just because someone cannot make complex decisions about how to invest their money for example, does not mean that they are incapable of making decisions about some other, simpler matters. As an attorney or deputy you should always consider whether you can help P to make the decision themselves before moving on to making the decision for them.

“Best interests” principle

Under the MCA 2005 any act you do or decision you make on behalf of P must be in their best interests. This may seem straightforward enough, but there will of course be times when it is not completely clear what is in P’s best interests.

Things that you cannot do as an Attorney or Deputy

  • Make large gifts out of P’s property, even if you believe that P would want you to do so, for example because it is to P’s child to help them to set up a business.
  • Make tax-planning moves with P’s property, even if you believe that this is in P’s best interests
  • Make or change a Will on behalf of P
  • You may not be able to sell P’s property if it is jointly owned with another person

In order to do any of these things you may need to make an application to the Court of Protection for authority to do so.

Confused or need help?

Our specialist Long Term & Elderly Care team at GL Law can advise and assist you with matters such as exercising your powers appropriately, long term care decisions and making applications to the Court of Protection. Being an Attorney or a Deputy is a big responsibility and it is okay to ask for help. Please contact our team of specialist care planning solicitors on 0117 906 9400 or email Alternatively, please complete our contact form.  

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

  • What can we help you with?