On 1st October GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau as part of an exciting growth plan. To find out more read the full story here. If you have any urgent queries please reach out to your usual contact, email, or call 0117 906 9400.

Home > News > Children of separated parents can continue to pass between households

Children of separated parents can continue to pass between households

24 March 2020 |

There will be some relief for separated parents this morning after hearing Michael Gove clarify that their children can still pass between parents’ households during lock down. Previous advice had been that children of separated families must stay in whatever home they are currently living in and will only be able to live with one parent whilst the lock down is in place. Moving children under 18 between their parents’ homes is considered essential travel under the guidance announced by Boris Johnson last night.

There will be family members who are vulnerable or self-isolating due to symptoms and in these situations, contact cannot take place. Families will need to consider how children can stay in touch with their other parent through social media, telephone or other non-physical contact.

It is especially important that both parents give children as much support as possible during this unsettling time and this will require parents to work together and to be as flexible as possible.

Parents may also want to consider whether their current arrangements can be altered to reduce the number of times the children go back and forth between them during the next three weeks in order to cut down the risk of infection. 

If you, or anyone you know, are struggling with the impact of the lock down on existing child arrangements, our specialist family and children law solicitors are available to help you.  Please call 0117 906 9400 or email 

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

  • What can we help you with?