On 1st October GL Law merged with national law firm Shakespeare Martineau as part of an exciting growth plan. To find out more read the full story here. If you have any urgent queries please reach out to your usual contact, email, or call 0117 906 9400.

Home > News > Suspension of gender pay gap reporting for employers

Suspension of gender pay gap reporting for employers

25 March 2020 | Nick Jones

Nick Jones, Employment Solicitor and Head of our Bristol Employment Law team reports that the annual requirement for employers with 250 or more employees to publish their annual gender pay gap reports has been suspended for 12 months.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission and the UK Government Equalities Office have jointly announced that they will suspend the gender pay gap reporting requirements for this current year.  Until the suspension, companies with 250 or more employees were required to report their data on pay gap by 4th April 2020.

It is understood that more than 3,000 employers have already reported this year, representing 26% of employers required to report. However, the remaining 74% of companies that fall within the reporting requirement will now no longer be expected to provide their data.

Employers will still be able to report voluntarily, and many employers will be already some way down the road of having to collect and collate their data.  It is anticipated that some of these employers may choose to still voluntarily report their data, although the government and EHRC have stated that they “recognise that employers across the country are facing unprecedented uncertainty and pressure at this time.  Because of this we feel it is only right to suspend enforcement of gender pay gap reporting this year”.

Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, it is also likely that the pay gap reporting due for next April will look radically different from previous years. The data will include this coming April’s pay data, which we expect to be radically different from previous months, due to levels of sick pay being paid, and the measures currently being taken by many employers to shore up their businesses, including pay reductions and placing employees on furlough under the job retention scheme.

If your business needs any assistance or support with employment law issues, please contact our specialist employment solicitors in Bristol. Call 0117 906 9400 or email

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

  • What can we help you with?