Ben Coulson is a Senior Associate based in the Bristol office. With over 10 years of experience in Private Client law, Ben specialises in the full range of Private Client services including the administration of estates, advising on inheritance tax, Will planning, trusts and Lasting Powers of Attorney.
Ben acts for a diverse range of clients from private individuals with relatively straightforward affairs through to high net worth individuals with more complex needs.
He thrives on the technically challenging, unusual and interesting cases and creates innovative solutions to tricky problems. This makes Ben well-liked by his clients and they often comment on his practical and sensitive approach.
Ben is a full member of STEP and has recently been identified as an “Associate to watch” in the 2021/22 Chambers High Net Worth Guide.
Examples of work Ben specialises in:
- Providing Inheritance tax advice to a couple and then preparing tax-efficient Wills designed to maximise the availability of IHT reliefs including Business Property Relief and the Residence Nil Rate Band.
- Advising an executor in a complex estate involving literary assets, the claiming of Business Property Relief and appointing assets out of a discretionary trust.
- Advising married clients on their current Wills and codicils and EU succession law post Brexit.
- Providing advice to a family on the validity and efficacy of a lifetime settlement and the subsequent actions taken by the trustees both during the settlor’s lifetime and post the settlor’s death.
- Providing advice to the trustees of a discretionary trust on a decision to distribute the assets of a trust, following a potential challenge from a discretionary beneficiary.
“Ben was always professional, friendly, approachable and very quick to respond to any questions or requests for help from either myself or my Sister.”