Director, Head of Private Client & Long Term Care
Heledd Wyn is a Director and Head of Private Client & Long Term Care with over 15 years’ experience across a range of future planning, private wealth and Court of Protection work.
Specialising in future planning, Heledd provides expert advice and guidance in respect of Wills, Powers of Attorney, long-term care, and asset protection to both private individuals and business owners. She also provides advice on inheritance tax and trusts.
Heledd is well known for her expertise in long-term and elderly care matters. Her knowledge of navigating the legal aspects of the care system, particularly the funding of care and challenging the decisions made by local authority assessments, make her invaluable to those dealing with care planning for themselves, or their loved ones. Heledd has particular experience in dealing with NHS Continuing Health Care funding and Court of Protection applications.
Heledd is a member of STEP and sat on the STEP Mental Capacity Global Special Interest Group for six years. She is an accredited member of Solicitors for the Elderly and is a former trustee of BRACE.
Heledd is nationally recognised as an expert in her field as demonstrated by the requests to deliver training and commentary in both legal and national press.
Examples of work Heledd Wyn specialises in:
- Collaboration with our Commercial & Corporate team on a complex family business succession planning exercise – balancing competing business and personal interests to achieve the outcome that the family were entirely happy with.
- Multi-generational tax planning by preparing wills trusts and providing inheritance tax advice.
- Working with an Independent Financial Advisor to obtain NHS Continuing Healthcare (NHS CHC), where a spouse was being charged for respite care, on top of several other care bills. From paying in excess of £900 a week, to the NHS paying considerably more (in full) to cover the complete cost of the husband’s care.
- Working with a family farming business to obtain a reduction in care fees payable from over £75,000 to £17,000 with the ultimate outcome that the ongoing fees were paid by the local authority.
- Complex Court of Protection application working with an independent Deputy to ensure that the wishes and feelings of the individual were heard regarding where and how they should live their life wholly independently balancing competing views and interests of a number of parties.
- Instructed in a contentious Court of Protection application that spanned two separate legal jurisdictions and how care should be paid for and in which jurisdiction that care should be provided.
- Cross jurisdictional Court of Protection application to enable the sale of a property in France where the owner had lost capacity.
Publications & Presentations
- In conversation with Fiona Rawlinson for Cardiff University
- Elderly Clients: A Precedent Manual 5th edition
- STEP journal
- Solicitors Journal
- New Jurist
- Private Client magazine
- Providing tailor made training sessions for professional advisers such as STEP and Society Later Life Advisers and medical professionals
“Heledd Wyn has been a great resource and supporter of our work – we are End of Life Doulas, supporting those (and the people they love) with a life limiting illness. We have turned to Heledd with questions and for advice relating to Lasting Power of Attorney for both Health and Welfare and Property and Financial Affairs; Estate Planning for tax efficiencies; rights in relation to health and social care; in fact all things legal which will allow the people we support to age and die with control over their affairs and with dignity. She keeps it all simple, pragmatic and accessible.”
“I have worked alongside Heledd with mutual clients for a number of years, and it is refreshing to be able to work with a solicitor who is very pragmatic and down to earth. Her knowledge of long term care (including NHS Continuing Health Care Funding) and mental capacity including the complications that this entails, has meant that our clients have been given total peace of mind. As a member of SOLLA I find it reassuring that Heledd's knowledge will supplement the advice I am able to give my clients.”
“My mother had Progressive Supranuclear Palsy which is a form of dementia. My father had previously applied for CHC, but my mother was assessed as not meeting the criteria. Heledd gave me the confidence to challenge the decision. When the day of the assessment came, the knowledge and confidence which Heledd gave us made all the difference to how we were able to communicate with the assessor when invited to give our views on each assessment area. I would also say that Heledd has a very approachable and understanding manner and is able to give valuable peace of mind, as well as being very candid about what is and is not likely to be achieved.”
“My Brother and I worked with Heledd in preparing a will for our late Mother, Ivy Dash. Heledd showed great empathy and understanding with Mum as we worked as a team to prepare Mum's will. Heledd was very timely in all of her communications to us. Her legal counsel and guidance was extremely professional. We are very grateful to Heledd for her guidance and we both fully endorse Heledd. We strongly recommend Heledd to anyone who is going to prepare a will. Thank you so much Heledd for all your work.”
“Heledd advised us when my mother-in-law suffered from a medically induced psychosis and remained in a permanent state of delirium. She was awarded NHS Continuous Health Care funding at that time, which was with huge thanks to Heledd for her advice. ”
“Thank you for all of the help you have provided during the last few months. We have spoken about Wills and LPA’s many times during the last 10 years and even sat with a lawyer about 10 years ago who made us even more confused, so the straightforward process in which you manage this stressful subject is excellent.”
Insight from Heledd
The cap on social care fees – will it help me?
Ready for online trust registration?
Health & Care Bill: Reducing hospital discharge delays
Can you make a Power of Attorney online?
How can I minimise inheritance tax?
Gifting and inheritance tax explained
What happens if someone has died without leaving a Will?
#CarersWeek – Making Caring Visible and Valued
Power of Attorney & protecting the rights of people with dementia
How to use your Will to protect your assets from care home fees
Recognising the importance of a Lasting Power of Attorney
Kate Garraway: Finding Derek. Why a Lasting Power of Attorney is essential