Hugh joined GL Law in December 2019 as a Paralegal in the Corporate and Commercial department. He holds a Graduate Diploma in Law from the University of Law and a degree in Biochemistry from the University of Sheffield, with his undergraduate literature review focused on the role of nuclear quantum tunnelling in enzyme catalysis. Given his background, Hugh is particularly interested in the interaction between science, technology and law.
On his route to qualification as a solicitor, Hugh is building up a busy practice assisting in advising clients on commercial, non-contentious intellectual property and data protection matters. In particular, he is regularly involved in drafting, negotiating and advising on a range of commercial contracts including:
- standard terms and conditions for supply of goods/services/digital content;
- agency, manufacturing, distribution and franchise agreements;
- IT agreements (SaaS and software development, hosting, maintenance and support);
- framework agreements;
- intellectual property assignments, licences and non-disclosure agreements.
Examples of work Hugh specialises in:
- Pharmacy tech: Recently acted for a pharmacy tech company as it deployed its new API messaging services to independent pharmacies and large customers including Lloyds Pharmacy, creating 2 template sets of terms and conditions for the sale and purchase contracts, one set for the independents and one for larger customers.
- Healthcare: acting for a healthcare business establish an arm supplying invisible orthodontic appliances and treatment plans to UK-based dentists. Drafted and negotiated a cross-border sales and distribution agreement and standard supply terms and advised on data protection aspects.
- Building and construction tech: acting for a building software supplier collaborating with a Indian software company to develop and commercialising a new AI-based computer software application. Negotiated and drafted a bespoke collaboration agreement and software development agreement and advised on intellectual property and cross-border data protection aspects of the collaboration.
- Hospitality tech: acting for a hotel software supplier in delivering a new channel manager and online booking application integrating with third party software via API messaging. Drafted and negotiated a software reseller agreement, template SaaS subscription agreement and EULA.