Director of Corporate & Commercial
Mobile contact number: 07728 113310
Paul Hardman is a Director and Head of the Corporate and Commercial department; he became a co-owner of the firm in 2012.
With over 30 years’ experience, Paul specialises in corporate finance work covering mergers and acquisitions, management buy outs and buy ins, joint venture arrangements and shareholder agreements. He is well regarded by clients for confidently and competently pulling deals together. He is highly skilled in recognising what will work and what has been missed and knowing when to hold firm and when to concede to achieve his client’s goal.
Paul trained in Bristol and then spent 11 years with Lyons Davidson’s corporate and commercial team before moving to Thrings, Clarke Willmott and Blake Morgan. He was head of corporate Bristol at Clarke Willmott.
Corporate deal highlights include completing his first deal, a £1m pub sale, as a trainee whilst his supervisor was on holiday. Paul helped Grafton Group with its first UK acquisition and went on to deal with a number of their subsequent acquisitions (Grafton trade as Buildbase, Plumbase etc and are a UK top 3 builders’ merchant). Paul completed the acquisition of Bristol Rugby for a consortium of local businessmen he helped assemble.
Paul’s team works with clients ranging from start-ups to well-established companies on corporate transactions and commercial contracts matters. The team are regularly recognised in the Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners legal directories.
Paul is a Director of the Business and West of England China Bureau.
Examples of work Paul specialises in:
- Motor parts distribution: Paul and his team worked with Alan Holly of SGS Gases to achieve a £4m buy out of his business partners. This included helping raise funding for the buy out, including pitching to investors in London, and designing the structure of the buy out which included a deferred element of the purchase price.
- Clothing and sports goods: Acting for Route One to demerge and sell to a management buy out team including a substantial cash payment on completion with further deferred and contingent deferred elements.
- Pharmacy tech: Recently acted for a pharmacy tech company as it deployed its new API messaging services to independent pharmacies and large customers including Lloyds creating 2 template sets of terms and conditions for the sale and purchase contracts, one set for the independents and one for larger customers.
- Buy out from Administrators: acting for a hearing aid supplier company as it went through a turnaround involving a pre-pack purchase from administrators saving 30 jobs.
- Food and Drink: Acting on equity fund raising for 4 new spirits manufacturers including compliance with SEIS/EIS Rules and handling equity funding from 30 plus investors.
“I have worked with Paul on a number of assignments over a period of nearly fifteen years. These days he is the first lawyer I call when I, or one of my clients, need straightforward, uncomplicated legal help in relation to any commercial or corporate finance matter. He is one of the treasured minority, amongst the lawyers I know, who thinks about the commercial consequences of his instruction, instead of sitting behind the grey veil of strictly interpreting the formal legal position and leaving the client to decide the whys and the wherefores without guidance. This is invaluable to company owners who are looking for a solution rather than an opinion. I have the highest level of confidence in Paul's ability to deliver and I cannot recommend him highly enough.”
“Paul is not only a charming individual but also a talented lawyer with an keen sense of commercial acumen. When helping to put together a deal, he appreciates what is important and what is not so that effort can be focused in the areas that really matter.”
“I have seen hundreds and hundreds of commercial agreements over the years and Paul Hardman has an ability to impart an elegance of drafting and a simplicity of delivery that confounds many (indeed most) of his peers - and now it seems he is passing on his thought processes in a very skilful manner to the younger generation at Gregg Latchams.”
“I am delighted with the fast turnaround and both Paul Hardman and Julian Pyrke who kept the transaction on track and ensured that matters progressed quickly and smoothly. The sale has now meant I am able to concentrate fully on my other business ventures.”
“Gregg Latchams and Paul Hardman have provided us with top quality legal services since we founded Liberty Electric Cars. Paul’s clear thinking and commercially intuitive counsel have been invaluable… his ready availability and rapid response to requests for interpretations and supply of documents have been a great competitive boost.”
Insight from Paul
GL Law advises Staverton Building Supplies on their multi-million pound sale to Sydenhams Ltd
Spotlight on success - Mobius Works
Exporting to Europe & the UK post Brexit
M&A deal market after lockdown
Common contract mistakes and how to avoid contract disputes
We talk to Business Leader about how businesses can plan for the future
10 reasons why you need a Shareholders Agreement
Shareholders Agreement for owner managed and family businesses
Coronavirus Future Fund – applications now open
Update – Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme
Mergers & Acquisitions - Covid-19 and the Problem of Deferred Consideration
Update – the Coronavirus Bounce Back Loan scheme