We provide expert advice and a wide range of legal services to the media sector.
How can we help?
Legal advice for the media sector
Our expert legal teams advise on a range of issues including film, TV, music and publishing agreements and deals; advertising campaigns, press releases and media regulation.
Advertising & marketing law
We understand the high pressure, deadlines-focused world of advertising and marketing. We also understand the reputational damage that inaccurate, misleading or untruthful promotions can cause. Our effective and responsive service ensures that compliance issues do not stall campaigns and initiatives, and our technical understanding of the regulatory landscape enables us to give technical, risk-adverse advice.
- Advice on offline and online sales promotions, ambush marketing and comparative advertising
- Advice on direct marketing and data protection law including online behavioural advertising (OBA), location-based advertising (LBA), e-mail marketing and database acquisition
- Advice on the advertising and marketing of alcohol, betting, gambling and tobacco products and services
- Review of agreements with advertising agencies and service providers
- Review of non-broadcast ad copy in line with ASA, CAP and other regulatory codes
- Advice on advertorial, endorsement and sponsorship arrangements
- Response to ASA complaints
Film & TV
The South West has a thriving independent film and television industry, with Bristol representing the third largest cluster in Britain. We have experience advising production, post-production and production support businesses and understand the need to obtain the right advice at the right time within often limited legal budgets.
- Advice on film and TV finance, (co-)production and distribution
- Commercial agreements
- Rights clearance services
- Advising an independent natural history production company in relation to a short series featured on BBC’s The One Show
- Advising the writers and directors of a feature-length animated film on the terms of a production agreement
- Advising an award-winning production company on securing investment under the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) to include IP licensing and corporate structure advice
- Advising a natural history film producer on a co-production agreement with a Danish production company for an environmental documentary
Music & publishing
Although very different industries, music and publishing share one important thing in common: the exploitation of copyright and similar rights. Whether you are the talent or you manage the talent, it is vital to understand how different income streams are generated and how best to protect and manage them.
Our team acts for artists, authors, bands, mixers, publishers, producers and songwriters; applying their industry knowledge and experience to help our clients seal the deal and provide pragmatic and cost-effective advice in the event of any disputes.
- Advice on music law and copyright
- Business affairs support for labels and publishers
- Clear and practical advice on disputes, including royalty disputes
- Commercial agreements and deals for both talent and talent management
- Registering brands and trademarks for artists
- Rights clearance services
- Visas and work permits for overseas performers
- Advising artists and labels on management, recording and publishing agreements
- Advising a punk rock band on a partnership agreement
- Advising fiction and non-fiction authors on publishing agreements
- Advising an online platform for children on copyright ownership and licensing matters
Our experienced Dispute Resolution team works with individuals and businesses to prepare and maintain reputation management strategies. From monitoring what is published about you or your company, to taking steps to remove any inaccurate or unlawful comments that are damaging to you or your business, we’ve got all aspects of reputation management covered.
By taking action quickly we can help minimise any potential damage to your reputation.
- Advice on advancing and defending defamation claims, malicious falsehood claims and harassment claims
- Advice on merits, options available to you and costs
- Representation in court proceedings
- Advice on alternative dispute resolution
- Representation in mediation
Contact our Media solicitors in Bristol or London
Let’s talk. You can call us on 0117 906 9400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information from our media solicitors in Bristol and London. Alternatively, please complete our contact form.
Commercial Law Solicitors
#NationalBeerDayUK – hospitality update
New legal age for marriage in England and Wales
The importance of having a robust disciplinary procedure
Everything you need to know about Biocidal Product Regulations
#CarersWeek – Making Caring Visible and Valued
Homes into Short-Term Lets – The importance of checking the small print